Friday, April 13, 2012

Washington DC

Ok so for my april break, i went to my favorite place on earth. Also known to some as Our nation's capitol, Washington DC is my part-time home. I can navigate the metro like any DC native, and can give directions like a pro.
While i was there, I thought the less fortunate, those who didn't get to go every month or so, would enjoy a little whirlwind photography tour of some of my favorite places. This year was also the 100th anniversary Cherry Blossom Festival, so if that comes up, forgive me, it jsut makes DC even more magical
So, on the drive down, we passed Sikorsky Aircraft, a favorite of mine, since it was the first tinme anyone convinced me to sleep OUTSIDE, on the GROUND in a TENT. but the helicopters were pretty cool. I guess the place is nostalgic for me.


So the first place that we ate on the first night, as mandated by tradition, was at the Hard Rock Cafe, i admit it, its another bit of nostalgia. I collect charms form the Hard Rocks i've been to...


So this is me and my sister in front of the Washington Monument. A great place called the National Mall. In a few months, this place will be filled with Girl Scouts singing a long for the 100th Anniversary Sing along. Yes, my sister and myself will be there!! Me and my sister had a pretty great time kicking around the streets. On the right, is the Monument, but it was taken from the WWII memorial, so the fountain is in front of it. Nice shot, yes?
What's a visit to our Nation's Capitol without a dose of ol' Honest Abe thrown in? With his imposing stature and large columnned pillars in front he's quite the man, I've always said. Super-Secret: Underneath is an old museum. Pretty ghostly right? And there's a book store there too. Pretty neat stuff, if you've got money to burn. There are about twenty steps in front, but it looks-and feels-like a lot more. 

This is the WWII memorial, a beautiful place marking the halfway point between the Washington Monument, and the Abe Lincoln Memorial, which is way in the distance, behind the reflecting pool. If you plan on walking there, bring sneakers. The length of the reflecting pool is not a walk for the faint of heart.
This is 1600 Pennysylvania Avenue. I've been inside, but not on this particular trip. And there were no photos allowed when i went, anyway. But my sister and I, on our little photo-trip, did stop to take a few shots of the most famous house in America. We were actually looking for the Titanic Exhibit. It was pretty hot that day actually, if i recall, and me and my sister walked over 10 blocks. In DC, or any city, that's a lot. 
Believe it or not, this little thing is the national christmas tree. There's a little plaque in front of it that says so.  If you're a doubter, believe me, you're not the only one. But its true, and its right across the street from 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. The most famous address in the US. I have gone on tour there, but not this time 'round.



This little Building is, what i consider, another hidden gem in Our Nation's Capitol. The Jefferson Memorial isn't easy to get to, but has high cathedral-like cielings, and is architecturally similiar to Abe Lincoln's memorial. A beautiful sight and a tourist must-see, especially during cherry blossom season. I Didn't go this time, but i have been in the past, like any true DC tourist.
So what a beautiful place, right? It's one of those places you can't die without going to at least once. I've been almost seven times, So i can cross DC off my bucket list! A definite must-go for at least one vacation, even if you can't visit everything in that one trip.

Martian

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It was. My sister and myself got to explore the city on our own and even though we go pretty often, the city is a lot of fun to hang out in.

      Delete