Saturday, January 9, 2016

On Our Way Southbound!

So, it's been awhile since anything super exciting has happened. To get the joke out of the way, yes I know, you haven't heard from me since LAST YEAR!  I've been working two jobs, doing online school, and generally just living a boring, regular old life. Well, now it's January and I am on my way back to Embry-Riddle. Not in Arizona, though, not anymore! This time, I'm heading to ERAU in Daytona Beach, Florida! So mom, bean and I decided to make a road trip out of it. So I said goodbye to my lovely babies at Kiddie Kampus, and to my friends and coworkers both there and at Galaxy Roller Rink, packed my five suitcases, two beanbags, TV, tote, and various odds and ends into the car, and the three of us headed South.

THE DATE IS DECEMBER 29



Always the first stop as we head southbound is Montvale, in New Jersey. This place has a little travel shop, a Starbucks and a Dunkin' Donuts, (which is good, since there's a mini-rivalry in this family) a Nathan's, a Burger King, and a Sbarro. So, plenty of options. So we stopped here, grabbed some grub, and continued south.





Next stop was a quick tour through DC. We went and got some cupcakes, had Hard Rock Cafe for dinner-the usual. You can check out my DC posts here for more about the typical things we do in DC. But yes, as we drove through the district, we waved hello to the NSA, and continued on toward our first major stop, Virginia Beach.








THE DATE IS DECEMBER 31

Well, Virginia Beach was super fun. We got to take a break for about three days, just relaxing, celebrating the New Year, and just generally NOT being in the car!

January 3, 2016


Well, after those three days, we waved goodbye to our friends there and continued on toward Chesapeake. We stopped over at Lynnhaven Mall, for a snack, to visit the Apple store, and to do a bit of poking around at the local shopping scene. However, the fun must come to an end, and into the car we piled, and onward south we meandered...
THE DATE IS NOW JANUARY 4.

So our adventure continued on to Chesapeake. We stayed with my Auntie Pat, who's not really my aunt, but she and my mom are super close, so she's a lot LIKE my aunt. Anyway, family relations aside, we stayed there for two days. It was fun, and so good to see her again. And get this: the guest bedroom bed is a WATER bed. Cool, right? So Day two, as we prepare to continue our trek south, it starts snowing. In Virginia. SOUTHERN Virginia. Serina and I couldn't believe our luck. We LOVE snow, and it hasn't even snowed in Connecticut yet-or hadn't by December, when we started this trek. So we were squealing delightedly as the snow gently coated everything. However, progress must continue to be made, and so, bags were packed, seats were taken, and the car drove on.
Chick-Fil-A nuggets. Yum!











Our next stop was easily my most anticipated. It was only a few short hours from Chesapeake when we started seeing the signs, pointing us toward....


South Of The Border!

From Chesapeake, our travels took us to South Carolina. Why, you ask? Because in a small town just south of the North Carolina line is a little shop called....Drum roll please...

 So, this place is legit. It's a huge deal. It's pretty quiet, but for the size of it, I imagine it must be busier during tourist season. What's the big deal about it? Well, there are signs for 400 miles with different sayings directing you along to Pedro's South of the Border. Mom and I counted 34 signs, but we got on 95 a bit late, at only 104 miles away. GPS apparently thinks it is smarter than my trusty map. But my hostilities toward GPS are not important----for now. 




So, as you can see, we came off 95 to thise 301-501 road, and a politically incorrect Mexican Bandito to greet us. We could also see the sombrero ride, but the amusement park was not looking very open. That's ok, we were mostly there so I could get something with South of the Border written on it. (FYI- I did get something---well, like, five somethings. oops!) 




Then, of course, we had to go shopping. I found my "somethings", and Mom and Bean found...these. Yes, my good friends, those are pizza and hamburger hats respectively. Please remember, by now we've been travelling for nearly two weeks. Be kind, we had to break up some serious tension.

How I break up tension. Simply be a princess. 


So that was South of the Border, and onward south we travelled until finally....

Come back soon for my next BIG. TRAVEL. UPDATE!

xoxo- Martian 

No comments:

Post a Comment