Tuesday, March 10, 2015

The Grand Canyon



So today, I took a little field trip to a place that felt, truly, like the top of the world. I had the privilege of visiting the Grand Canyon. It was absolutely breathtaking. The views, the colors, the sheer SIZE, made me feel so small. It really makes you consider your place in the world.



so the drive started out peacefully enough. Around Flagstaff, though, we spotted Snow! yes, REAL SNOW! Believe it or not, it does snow in Arizona, especially up north. 








Mom, this find was for you. an old-school dairy queen sign. Bring back any memories??

















This was kind of cool. On the way up, we passed over a section of Route 66 that was like something straight out of Cars. This was an old diner. It was all very Old West.






 EEP! I was so excited when I saw this! Not just the McDonalds (although the McNuggets aren't that bad) But GRAND CANYON McDonalds. Isn't everything a little more excited when associated with some type of symbol, monument, or National Park? (The McDonalds at Steven-Udvar Hazy Research Center was so much better than the one at Atlanta Airport.)


















Yes, believe it or not, in the heat of Arizona, we get snow. Even at the Grand Canyon. For me, it just added to the true beauty of the whole, incomprehensible, breathtakingly beautiful scene
The weather was Perfect. I had brought a jacket that was really only slightly neccesary in the shade. Photo Creds to JAWs



Just look at the pure SCALE of this place. On the right, i got a picture of where the river once ran through the canyon, carving its perfection.

It felt like the top of the world. There was a climb down to this spot. Although it felt like the top of the world, behind me you can see the scale of the Canyon compared to me and know that I am still so small.




It's a LONG way down





On the way out toward the exit, there was a sign for tribes that called the Canyon home. It truly made me stop and think-a canyon so large, to house this many people. Did these people realize what a beautiful place they called home?
I did visit the gift shop before I left. But what I bought there? That's for YOU to guess. The pure scale of this place could not hope to be captured in, what I feel, are incredibly simple photos. If you haven't been yet, I highly recommend it. Hope you enjoyed my Grand Canyon Adventure. 


xox Martian

ALSO: Check out these videos I took, in an effort to capture the grand scale which you are facing when standing on the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. They sound like the same video, but I PROMISE they aren't,I just couldn't get myself to stop saying WOW. (They are like 18-seconds each)

No comments:

Post a Comment