Monday, April 28, 2014

Nike EYBL Session One




So this past weekend was probably the start of my greatest Adventure. i began scorekeeping for a company called Gamechanger. Hands Down, I've never been so excited. In the midst of studying for finals, I got to work for a company that completely changed the way i scorekeep in high school. Who would have thought? A sophomore sitting behind the bench would one day be working for a major company in the scorekeeping world.






So first things first- new job, new opportunity. A girl needs some accessories! This is my "Rosallini Women Headdress Rhinestone Detail Green Bowknot Hair Clip Barrette" that i bought from amazon.com. It looked amazing with my hair. 


















So on my way to the airport, I took some photos 

The most reliable way is hands-down the Arizona Shuttle. they are notoriously on time. The shuttle picks me up right at Riddle and drops me off right at the terminal. I pay a little extra to get picked up at Riddle, but also because I book online and it's a special agreement between the University and the Company. If you talk to the Drivers, they are so cool, and really nice. The driver that drove me on the way to the airport also noticed i have a lkot of energy and child-like wonder (although he didn't say it quite that way,) pointed out the really cool balloons that were in the air on the way there!
 



The Greatest Moment Had to be when I got there


So, Meet Ted. He's the CEO of Gamechanger. He's pretty cool. He and my supervisor, Jeff, seemed to have pretty high expectations for me. As Ted was leaving he asked "so is Kyrra going to do the training?" Jeff replied, "Well, she has the most experience." It seems as though, although I'm the only girl, and the youngest, I apparently have either the most Gamechanger experience or the most scorekeeping experience-I don't know which.


















So this is the team- Turned around is Jarrell, then Andrew, Andre, Jeff, turned away from the camera is Brendan and Brice. Brice is the best spotter, Jarrell is one of the nicest guys ever, Andre is really nice, and funny, and an NBA scout. Brendan is a AAU coach, and Jeff supervises all of us! (With me, trust me, I'm pretty sure that's a handful in and of itself!)





So here's the three-day schedule; Day one, I was on Court five, and then spotting on Court 3. Day Two, i was on Court 3 almost all day, except for a brief stint on Court 6 with Jarrell. Day 3, I was on Court 4, then Court 6, then Court 5. You can check out the results of that game on the Gamechanger site.










So the event was held at Jackson Sports Academy which was a pretty neat place. The owner gave us a behind-the scene's tour. Turns out, he's going to get a Sports Bar soon. The owner was SO nice. His facility included volleyball courts, and basketball courts from REAL professional teams.





So when I arrived at the airport, there was a plane full of Soldiers arriving too, presumably from overseas. This father reuniting with his family totally touched my heart.


So, California is a LOT greener than Arizona. And i just had to laugh-apparently, in California, the trains have a place to rest too. More than just truck stops, I guess. Well, what should I expect? It's California!


So here's the schedule of the Nike EYBL Sessions. I'll be in Dallas and Hampton, but, because Gamechanger hired too many scorekeepers, (they thought we'd need more breaks, but we don't really.) I won't be in Minnesota or South Carolina. But I wouldn't trade the three games I Get to do for the world. Overall, so far it's been a great adventure. I love my coworkers, I love Gamechanger, and I'm so grateful for this opportunity.









Keep an eye out for this developing story and please check out the links included in this post! It would mean a lot to a lot of people!!

xox Martian

No comments:

Post a Comment